Knowing that you are actively engaged with sustainability, we want you to be among the first to know about our official launch! We pre-launched the day New York went into lockdown, braced the turbulence from the presidential election, and now we are looking forward to a more sustainable future ahead.
We reviewed New York’s Green New Deal (2019) to give you an insider’s perspective into Governor Cuomo’s new Advisory Panels, and incentive programs to help NYC building owners comply with the Climate Mobilization Act (2019). The articles are designed to be helpful for anyone living in New York who wants to join in the push to green New York. Read our research packages on the Unbuilt Labs website!
Unbuilt Labs is a think tank-media company hybrid designed to explore the intersections between sustainability policies and consumer behaviour. We explore what doing good means today with our brilliant family of thinkers and creatives.
The leadership team from across Gen X, Y, and Z brings an international perspective. We have experience in product strategy, advising F500 Directors and consulting for award-winning startups; research, for EU-funded programs; communications, as board member of non-profits and NYTimes best-selling author; marketing, for celebrity clients such as Alicia Keys and her husband Swizz Beatz; and Art, with works featured in Art Basel Miami and collected by MOMA.
Stay connected to receive our quarterly newsletter. Next quarter, we will be publishing research on New York’s flood scenarios for a new Dark Horse comic – think Star Wars and The Umbrella Academy on Netflix!
We invite subject matter specialists, as well as thought leaders interested in joining the Expert Panel or the Board of Advisors to reach out. Please reach out to Connect@UnbuiltLabs.com
What you need to know about The Climate Mobilization Act (2019), “the largest climate solution put forth by any city in the world” according to the NYC Mayor’s Office of Sustainability.
There are four pillars to the new Act:
- Green Roofs: Local Law 92, 94, which require all new buildings and buildings undergoing major roof renovations to be covered with solar panels, green roofs, or some combination of the two;
- Building Energy Efficiency Grade: Local Law 95, and Local Law 93 (2018), which requires annually updated energy labels to be displayed near a public entrance;
- PACE: Local Law 96, which establishes long-term, low-interest Property-Assessed Clean Energy financing to fund relevant upgrades; and
- Building Mandate: Local Law 97, which includes more ambitious carbon reduction targets for all buildings larger than 25,000 square feet.
Explore the research package “Incentive programs to help NYC building owners comply with the Climate Mobilization Act (2019)” by Deven Malone, published on the 16th of November:
- Public-Private Partnerships pave the way for NYC building owners to reduce pollution and save money
- What you can do to save money and be green next time you upgrade your appliances
- Helpful incentive programs for NYC building owners to combat water pollution, scarcity, and 150-year-old sewer systems
- On-Site Power: Generating Additional Income Streams for New Yorkers
- Incentive programs for New York City Tenants to lower costs and promote sustainable living
To understand the possible synergies between New York City and New York State, read the research package “New York’s Green New Deal” by Austin Law. “Heat Vulnerability Index – at risk public housing residents in Brownsville” discusses the heat-related illnesses and deaths in neighbourhoods that generally have less access to home air conditioning, less green space, hotter surface temperatures, and are low income. The New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal states that when a tenant purchases the air conditioner, the owner is allowed to collect a $5 per-month surcharge for each unit installed.
Discover the research package “New York’s Green New Deal” by Austin Law, published on the 16th of November:
- Inside Governor Cuomo’s new CLCPA Advisory Panels and Groups
- What does the CLCPA mean by and for disadvantaged communities?
- Heat Vulnerability Index – At risk public housing residents in Brownsville
- CLCPA interventions – Green roofs and proactive incentive programs may offer a solution
It’s Frank Ape! We are excited to announce our new, special edition collaboration with Brandon Sines, the artist behind New York’s magical friend and icon, Frank Ape. The New York-based Artist recently unveiled a large mural near One World Trade Center and collaborated with the Guggenheim Museum to celebrate its 60th anniversary. Brandon has partnered with us to create a series of Frank Ape T-shirts. All profits from the collection will support sustainability research at Unbuilt Labs. Pre-order now: https://UnbuiltLabs.com/family
For our Fall semester, we invited 5 highly accomplished young people to create self-designed sustainability projects under the guidance of our leadership. With a 0.4% acceptance rate, we are delighted to include a student from the Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC) as we launch our new partnership. The successful candidates reflect the diversity and exacting standards of Unbuilt Labs. Read more here: https://unbuiltlabs.com/2020-fall-interns/
Unbuilt Labs is delighted to announce our new partnership with the Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC). We offer 2 internship places exclusively to BMCC students, with a focus on first generation college students. Read more here: https://unbuiltlabs.com/2020/08/04/announcing-our-new-partnership-with-bmcc/
The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency, Naturvårdsverket, estimates that approximately 60% of greenhouse gas emissions are a result of household consumption. Medveten Konsumtion (The Swedish Association for Responsible Consumption) is a non-profit NGO, based in Stockholm operating throughout Sweden, aiming to raise awareness about the impact of consumption on the environment, health and those who work in the industries.
Visit team member Clockwork Cros’ contactless Pop Up gallery show. Find our products at the store for purchase and support our sustainability research! At 325 Canal Street, operated by Wallplay is 2 minutes away from Canal Street Station (N, Q, R, and W trains) and next to brands such as MM6 Maison Margiela and NikeLab 21 M. Read more here: https://unbuiltlabs.com/location/
Press Release / For immediate release: 16th November 2020
From the Unbuilt Labs Family 🎈